In the very beginning, Timeline was created because Rickard was frustrated with regular calendars. He found it difficult to get a sense of when events occurred in time. Especially events far apart that would not fit in a calendar view. He thought that presenting events on a timeline where he could quickly zoom in and out and move around to show different views would help.
So, the core task of Timeline is to display and navigate events on a timeline. It has done that since version 0.1.0 which was released on 11 April 2009. Excerpt from the README:
The Timeline Project aims to create a cross-platform application for displaying and navigating information on a timeline. The main goal is that it should be easy to quickly display different periods in time with different kinds of information on the timeline.
If you have data that you would like to display on a timeline, Timeline should be able to show it. Timeline has multiple backends to display data from different sources.
The first Timeline conference took place at Södertuna castle on the 13-15 February 2015.
The Timeline team met to discuss future directions of the project.
We want to continue developing Timeline
We want to get more people involved in the development of Timeline
We worked on making it easier for new people to get into Timeline
- We started writing guides
- We improved the structure of the files in the repository
- We experimented with a plugin architecture that will make it easier to make small modifications to Timeline
We want to let the Timeline community decide the direction in which Timeline should develop
- We looked at mailing list traffic from 2014 to learn what problems users face when they are using Timeline
- We started entering those problems in a backlog
- We documented the process we should try to follow
- In this process, all users’ problems are entered in the backlog
- We try to solve problems from the backlog that most users have faced
The second Timeline conference took place at Trosa stadshotell on the 12-14 February 2016.
Review of past year:
We discussed if extracting the canvas component would be a good project to work on. Reasons for doing it:
We discussed having a forum instead of the mailing list and backlog. Problems it might solve: